Homework in SCSD
At the September 22, 2016 SCSD Board Meeting, Trustees approved Board Policy 6154 – Homework/Learning Beyond School Hours. Trustees will review the policy again at the end of the school year. To review the approved policy, CLICK HERE.
* * *
BACKGROUND ON THE REVISED HOMEWORK POLICY
Over the last several years, our community engaged in a series of evidence-based conversations about what children need in order to thrive. In addition, Superintendent Baker and our Board of Trustees continue to engage in community conversations about a revised district homework policy TK-Grade 8, how it will support our strategic plan, and the district’s next steps towards adoption of a new policy.
The following key points from research and our experience have been highlighted along this journey:
- Homework assignments should be purposeful, meaningful, and tailored to the individual needs of students
- Daily reading is key to each child’s long-term success
- Development of organizational work habits and self-discipline are crucial
- Family time, play time, and down time are important for all children
- Math and music may require near-daily time and practice
Resources to Learn More
Challenge Success White Paper: Changing the Conversation About Homework from Quantity and Achievement to Quality and Engagement
- Do students today have too much homework or not enough?
- Does homework lead to higher student grades and test scores?
- When does homework promote increased student engagement in learning?
Book Excerpt from Overloaded and Underprepared: Strategies for Stronger Schools and Healthy, Successful Kids by Denise Pope, Maureen Brown, and Sarah Miles
- Does homework help students?
- Does homework hurt students?
- What are the characteristics of effective homework?
Video of Stanford Professor and Challenge Success Founder, Denise Pope
- What does the research say about homework in the elementary school years?
- What is the importance of daily self-selected reading?
Огромный лист гофрированного металла слетел с капота автомобиля и пролетел прямо у него над головой. С гулко стучащим сердцем Беккер надавил на газ исчез в темноте. ГЛАВА 84 Джабба вздохнул с облегчением, припаяв последний контакт.